Je serai à Montréal cette semaine pour le symposium annuel de l’histoire du jeu. J’y présenterai mon projet de base de données regroupant ma collection de pamphlet de jeu vidéo d’arcade japonais tout en faisant la démonstration de l’utilité d’utiliser ce genre de matériel afin d’approfondir notre connaissance du jeu d’arcade, mais surtout de l’espace du game center japonais.
La conférence elle-même porte sur les questions gravitant autour de la préservation du jeu vidéo.
C’est gratuit et ouvert au public.
I just finished upgrading the Arcade and Game Center Chirashi Database with the latest documents I gathered during my research trip earlier this year. I also made a handful of little improvements, just enough to warrant a version change. Here is the full list:
- Added documents acquired from January to April 2016
- Added database values for tags, researchers, timestamp and venue
- Added new type of query in relation to the Playing in Public project: Game Center
- Multiple code enhancement
I did not implement the tag system in the search query modules yet as I do not know how to implement it in an efficient manner yet. I also need to upgrade the viewer page for plain readability. This will be part of a future update.
I have not been feeding this blog properly for a little while now. Since my return to Edmonton, I have been working exclusively on my dissertation; the objective is to get the first chapter done before the start of the next round of conference travels in Montréal and Leipzig. I will share my thoughts on this aspect of the project one it becomes clearer to me.
In the meantime, I have been working on cleaning up the Chirashi database. As it stood, the file names were not rational, and finding a specific document without the use of the php interface was difficult. I now have a document naming protocol which should help streamline the integration of the documents I acquired since January. Look forward to another announcement about that in the near future.
I recently updated the Arcade and Game Center Chirashi Database to remove direct access to the scanned version of the documents. The information itself is still there.
I decided to remove the document simply because I want to avoid any copyright infringement problems that could come up as a result of having them being available for virtually anybody on the internet to download. I discussed with the staff from the University of Alberta Copyright and Licensing Office and they advised to implement a way to limit the distribution of the material to academics and colleagues, which was not possible with the previous structure of the website. Until I have time to work on a better solution, access to the scanned version of the printed documents will now be limited to scholars interested in working on arcades and game centers. I would be happy to share the files with any other colleague in the field.